Veggie Fried Rice with frozen vegetables is a simple recipe that comes together in just 20 minutes! It includes onions, peppers and garlic along with mixed frozen vegetables, fried rice and an easy sauce. Perfect as a side dish or a quick meal.
I love simple recipes that taste good and don’t require a lot of work like this quick 20-minute Chicken Sausage Stir Fry recipe!
Now this Veggie Fried Rice tastes great on its own or you can add in some cooked chicken, shrimp or your favorite protein to make it more filling.
LET’S TALK ABOUT RICE!
For this recipe, you will definitely want to use leftover day old rice OR rice that has been chilled in the refrigerator for at least 6-8 hours prior to making your fried rice. Cold rice is best for making fried rice because it holds its texture and doesn't become too mushy when cooked with other ingredients.
INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED
- Leftover Cold Cooked Rice
- Red Bell Pepper
- Yellow Onion
- 1 bag of Frozen Mixed Vegetables
- Eggs (optional)
- Soy Sauce
- Sesame Oil
- Hoisin Sauce
- Green Onions
Full instructions are included in the recipe card below, but here’s a quick overview:
Step One: Remove frozen vegetables from the freezer and allow them to sit at room temperature while you prep the rest of the ingredients. (I personally like to briefly steam my vegetables in the microwave for 1-2 minutes before it’s time to add them to the skillet). This way the frozen veggies are thawed or slightly steamed, but not fully cooked. They will of course finish cooking with the rest of the rice.
Step Two: Prep the rest of your ingredients! Chop your bell pepper, onion and mince the garlic. Set chopped veggies to the side. Next in a small bowl add eggs and beat lightly, season if you like and set those to the side. Use this time to also prep your sauce. In a small bowl stir the soy sauce, sesame oil and hoisin sauce together and set aside.
Step Three: Heat a large, deep skillet over medium heat with a little olive oil and saute bell pepper, onion and garlic. Next add some butter to the skillet and pour in the beaten eggs. Scramble and cook while mixing with the onions and peppers.
Step Four: Now toss in the frozen vegetables to the skillet along with the cold day-old rice. Break up any big clumps and mix everything together. Add a little more oil to the skillet if needed. Cook the rice and veggies over medium heat, stirring frequently for 1-2 minutes.
Step Five: Finally pour prepared sauce into the skillet over the rice and vegetables. Stir well making sure everything is fully coated with the sauce. Continue to cook for another 2 minutes then remove from heat. Serve with fresh green onions on top and enjoy!
RECIPE TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Use day-old leftover rice for the best results. I like to make the rice the day or night before, let it cool to room temperature for 15-20 minutes then add it to an airtight container and place in the refrigerator to chill for the next day. Using leftover cold rice helps the fried rice hold its texture and not become mushy when cooked. Extra tip: cook your rice in chicken or vegetable broth for more depth of flavor.
- Prep your ingredients ahead of time. Most asian-inspired recipes come together really fast. So it’s best to chop your vegetables and make your sauce before you start cooking.
- Use a large deep skillet. Make sure to use a deeper skillet or saute pan for this recipe to keep the fried rice from spilling out of the pan.
Feel free to use a different combination of mixed vegetables in your fried rice. You can leave out the bell peppers and onions and just use all frozen vegetables to make it really easy. You can also use all fresh vegetables if you want. Adding chopped broccoli, zucchini or mushrooms would work really well!
MORE QUICK SKILLET RECIPES
- Chicken Fried Rice
- Asian Ground Turkey Stir-Fry
- Honey Butter Garlic Chicken
- Easy Black Bean Quesadillas