Candied yams made with a delicious sweet glaze of sugar, vanilla and warm spices.
- 4-5 medium size Sweet Potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes into ½ inch thick round pieces. Layer sweet potatoes in a lightly butter greased 13x9 baking dish. Set aside.
- Melt ½ cup butter in a small saucepan. Add both sugars to saucepan and stir until well combined.
- Slowly add & stir in heavy cream. Simmer on low for 3-4 minutes stirring often.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Next add in cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and vanilla. Stir until well combined.
- Pour sugar glaze mixture evenly over sweet potatoes. Don't stir sweet potatoes at this point. Yes, the glaze will be thick.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, uncover and gently stir sweet potatoes and glaze. Return to the oven uncovered and bake for another 30-35 minutes.
- Once done, allow sweet potatoes to cool for about 5 minutes, then transfer to your favorite serving dish, drizzle leftover glaze on top and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 75 min
- Category: Side Dish, Dinner
- Cuisine: American