Delicious Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tortilla Soup that’s packed with lots of flavor and warm, comforting ingredients. Then topped with homemade, crispy tortilla strips!
- 2 Sweet Potatoes, washed, peeled & cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded & finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 - 14 oz cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 - 15 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 lime, cut in half
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Yellow corn tortillas
- Wash and peel the sweet potatoes, then chop them into 1/2 inch chunks. Not too big and not too small. Next dice the onion, finely dice the jalapeño and mince the garlic. Set these to the side.
- Measure all of the spices (cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, sea salt & dried oregano), add them to a small dish and set aside.
- In a large pot on medium heat, add olive oil and saute onions and jalapeño. Add the minced garlic and saute an additional 30 seconds. Now add the tomato paste and all the spices (cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, dried oregano, and salt) to the pot. Stir well and add a splash of water if needed to help thin out the tomato paste.
- Now add the fire-roasted tomatoes, black beans, corn, chopped sweet potatoes and vegetable broth. Stir everything together well.
- Bring soup to a boil then immediately turn the heat down to medium-low and allow the soup to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are fork tender (but not mushy).
- While soup is simmering make the homemade tortilla strips (instructions listed above)
- Once soup is done add fresh lime juice from 1/2 lime and some fresh chopped cilantro to the pot. Stir again to make sure everything is well combined. Serve with extra lime and cilantro on the side and your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Lunch, Dinner
- Cuisine: American, Mexican
Keywords: sweet potato soup, sweet potato and black bean tortilla soup, sweet potato tortilla soup