A delicious Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tortilla Soup packed with tons of flavor and warm, comforting ingredients. Sweet Potato chunks are cooked with black beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, sweet corn, onions, garlic, jalapeno and of course topped with homemade tortilla strips!
Sweet Potato Tortilla Soup is perfect for a meatless Monday dinner option, a vegan or vegetarian recipe or if you just want a warm, delicious soup recipe for any day of the week. This recipe is a spin on my Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe which so many people love! It uses a lot of the same ingredients and has the same great taste.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It's an easy one pot soup recipe!
- Includes lots of vegetables, beans and spices to make it not only healthy but delicious.
- And the homemade tortilla strips really takes it over the top!
- Sweet Potatoes - Sweet potatoes are the star of this soup.
- Aromatics - Onion, garlic, and jalapeño adds a wonderful base layer of flavor and depth to the soup.
- Vegetables - A simple combination of black beans, corn, and tomatoes adds more color, flavor, and texture to the soup in addition to the sweet potatoes.
- Tomato Paste - A little tomato paste adds depth to the soup.
- Seasoning: A simple Southwest-inspired seasoning blend of cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, oregano and salt.
- Vegetable Broth - all veggie broths are not created equal. I used Kettle & Fire's vegetable broth for this recipe.
- Lime and Cilantro - Finish the soup with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and fresh chopped cilantro for extra flavor.
- Corn Tortillas (to make homemade tortilla strips): optional, but highly recommended. Instructions listed below.
Full instructions are included in the recipe card below, but here’s a quick overview:
Step One: Wash and peel the sweet potatoes, then chop them into 1/2 inch chunks. Not too big and not too small. Next dice your onion, finely dice the jalapeno and mince the garlic. Set these to the side. Now measure your spices, add them to a small dish and set aside.
Step Two: In a large pot on medium heat, add a little olive oil and saute the onions and jalapeño. Add the minced garlic and saute an additional 30 seconds. Now add the tomato paste and all the spices to the pot. Stir well and add a splash of water if needed to help thin out the tomato paste.
Step Three: Now comes the easy part. Go ahead and dump in the remaining ingredients. Add the fire-roasted tomatoes, black beans, corn, chopped sweet potatoes and vegetable broth. Stir everything together well. Bring soup to a slow boil then immediately turn the heat down to medium-low and allow the soup to simmer for 15-20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are fork tender (but not mushy).
Step Four: Once done, add the juice of half a lime and some fresh chopped cilantro at the end. Stir again to make sure everything is well combined. Enjoy with your favorite toppings!
How To Make Homemade Tortilla Strips
Making your own homemade tortilla strips is easy to do and it tastes SO good on top of sweet potato tortilla soup. I highly recommend adding them! Here’s how you do it:
Cut some corn tortilla strips into roughly ½ inch thick and 2-inch long pieces. Heat ½ cup of vegetable oil in a small sauté pan. Separate and fry the tortilla strips in batches until crispy. Should only take about 90 seconds. Once brown, transfer the strips to a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil. Immediately add just a little sea salt on top, then move on to your next batch. Enjoy these homemade crispy tortilla strips on top of your soup!
Prep your ingredients first. This recipe tends to go pretty fast so make sure to prep your vegetables and spices first. This way you can throw everything in your pot quickly when you need to.
More heat? If you want a little bit more heat to your soup you can keep the jalapeno seeds in when chopping OR add a 2nd chopped jalapeno! Trust me, I’ve done it and boy it definitely took it up a notch!
Make homemade tortilla strips. Again, homemade tortilla strips are the best way to finish this soup and it tastes 100x better than any pre-packaged tortilla strips. Super easy to make!
You can customize and make this soup your own by adding a variety of toppings based on what you like. Here are a few ideas:
- Tortilla strips
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges