These Panko Crusted Chicken Breasts are perfectly crunchy on the outside and juicy on the inside. The panko breading is flavored with parmesan cheese and a blend of spices giving the chicken breasts lots of flavor!
You can pan-fry Panko crusted chicken or bake it in the oven. I’ve tried both methods and both options work great with this recipe. However pan-fried will give you a crispier crust. I've shared both methods in this recipe.
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Plain Panko Breadcrumbs
- Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- Garlic Powder & Onion Powder
- Italian Seasoning or Cajun Seasoning - I often switch between Italian seasoning or Cajun seasoning to season my breadcrumbs depending on which flavor I am going for on that day.
- All Purpose Flour
Full instructions are included in the recipe card below, but here’s a quick overview:
Step One: Slice the chicken breasts in half to make 2 thinner chicken breasts. If you are using thin chicken cutlets you can skip this step. But make sure the chicken breasts have an equal thickness. You can do this by lightly pounding the thicker parts of your chicken breasts with a rolling pin or meat pounder.
Step Two: Arrange 3 shallow plates for the dipping/breading stations. In the first shallow dish add flour and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Mix together with a fork and set aside. In the 2nd shallow dish add 1 egg and a splash of water. Lightly beat the egg and set aside. In the 3rd shallow dish add panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, salt, Italian or cajun seasoning and paprika. Mix together and set aside.
Step Three: Lightly season each chicken breast with a little salt and pepper. Add the chicken breasts to the flour mixture first, shaking off any excess flour. Then add to the egg mixture, letting any excess egg run off. Then add chicken breasts to the panko breadcrumbs mixture, pressing the chicken breasts into the breading completely on both sides until they are evenly coated.
Step Four: Pan fry chicken breast in a little olive or avocado oil and butter until golden brown and internal temperature reaches 165°F. Remove from the skillet and allow chicken to rest on a wire rack to keep them crispy. Enjoy!
HOW TO BAKE PANKO CRUSTED CHICKEN
Baked Panko Crusted Chicken is just as easy as pan-frying. Follow steps 1-3 above. Then add chicken breasts to a parchment lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 12-15 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°F. Remove from the oven and allow chicken breasts to rest on a cooling rack for 2-3 minutes before cutting. The crust won’t be as crispy or as brown as pan-frying them, but it still will be just as delicious! Enjoy with your favorite sides!
HOW TO KNOW WHEN YOUR CHICKEN BREASTS ARE DONE
The only safe way to know when your chicken breasts are done is to use a meat thermometer. Digital meat thermometers are inexpensive and simple to use. Your chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165°F with a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of your chicken breast.
A meat thermometer also keeps you from cutting inside your chicken breast to check for doneness. If you cut inside your chicken breast before it's time you will lose all of the juices that help keep the chicken moist and tender. Trust me...just invest in a meat thermometer!
RECIPE TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Make sure your chicken breasts have an even thickness before starting the breading process. Pound with a meat pounder if necessary. The goal is for them to be not too thin and not too thick.
- Use fresh grated parmesan cheese. You can either buy a block of fresh parmesan cheese and grate it yourself or purchase fine grated fresh cheese usually in the specialty cheese section.
- Panko breadcrumbs can burn easily if your heat is too high. Make sure to keep your heat on medium to medium-low heat. I usually turn my heat down half-way through the cooking process.
- I often switch between Italian seasoning or Cajun seasoning for my breadcrumb seasoning depending on which flavor I am going for on that day. Both are equally delicious so use whichever you like.
- Roasted Broccoli and Potatoes
- Sauteed Zucchini & Yellow Squash
- Maple Glazed Baby Carrots
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
MORE EASY CHICKEN RECIPES
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts
- Honey Butter Garlic Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos