Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies are delicious cookies that could be enjoyed almost anytime of the day...at least in my house! Old fashioned oats are mixed with dried sweet cranberries, chopped pecans and just a few other ingredients to create the perfect, irresistible cookies. They are soft and chewy on the inside with a slightly crisp edge around the outside. These cookies are also very similar to my popular Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies that I love so much!
- Old Fashioned Rolled Oats: Oats now come in a variety of sizes and types, but just grab the regular old fashioned rolled oats for this cookie recipe.
- Dried Cranberries: Dried cranberries add texture and a slightly sweet flavor to these delicious oatmeal cookies. I usually grab the Ocean Spray Craisins but any brand will do.
- All Purpose Flour: Flour provides the structure for the cookies.
- Salt: Brings out the flavor of the cookies and helps balance the sweetness.
- Baking Soda: To help the cookies rise.
- Softened Butter: I suggest taking the butter out of the refrigerator and placing it on the counter 1-2 hours before you plan to make the cookies, so the butter is softened to room temperature. The total time that it will take to soften will depend on the temperature of your kitchen. Just DON'T melt the butter in the microwave. It will definitely affect your cookie texture and cause your cookies to overspread.
- White and Brown Sugar: The combination of both white and brown sugar adds wonderful flavor and sweetness to the cookie.
- Egg: To help bind the ingredients together.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla extract for a little extra sweetness and flavor.
- Pecans (optional ): Chopped pecans also give these cookies great flavor and texture. Honestly they’re a must have for me. But if you have a nut allergy you can totally leave them out.
How To Make Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies
Full instructions and measurements are included in the recipe below, but here’s a quick overview:
Step One: Combine the softened butter, white sugar, and brown sugar with a hand mixer in a large mixing bowl. Once butter and sugars are thoroughly combined, add the egg and vanilla extract. Continue blending until smooth.
Step Two: In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the rolled oats to the flour and stir. Pour the flour mixture into the butter sugar mixture. Blend the ingredients together with the hand mixer on the lowest setting just until barely combined.
Step Three: Add the dried cranberries and chopped pecans to the bowl. Stir into the batter with a large wooden spoon or spatula and fold into mixture until just combined. Do not over mix.
Step Four: Scoop batter out with a cookie scoop onto a parchment lined cookie sheet making sure each cookie is spaced 1-2 inches apart. Bake in the oven until golden brown and enjoy!