This Instant Pot Turkey Chili recipe is full of delicious flavor with warm spices, hearty beans, sautéed vegetables and lots of lean ground turkey meat! And the best part is it’s ALL made in the Instant Pot! It's a classic one-pot chili recipe that's easy to make and perfect any day of the week!
Chili recipes are extremely versatile and can be made in lots of different ways. For your typical recipe you only really need a few standard ingredients and really good chili spices for great flavor!
Ground Turkey - I like using ground turkey meat, but you can certainly use ground beef or ground chicken instead.
Beans - Beans are definitely a star ingredient in chili. I like using canned kidney beans and pinto beans, but you can use any combination of beans you like.
Vegetables - A few chopped veggies, sauteed and simmered will give the chili great flavor.
Tomatoes - I like using 2 types of tomatoes in my chili, but one can of tomatoes will certainly do.
Warm spices - A homemade chili seasoning mix is what really makes this chili so good. I like using chili powder, cumin and a few other dried spices listed below.
How to make Instant Pot Chili
Full instructions are included in the recipe card below, but here’s a quick overview:
Step One: Turn your Instant Pot on the saute function and add a little olive oil. Add your chopped veggies to the instant pot and saute for a few minutes.
Step Two: Crumble and cook the ground turkey or ground beef in the instant pot with the vegetables. Once fully brown, carefully drain any excess fat.
Step Three: Add all the warm, smoky spices to the instant pot and stir. Then add the rest of the ingredients including the chicken broth.
Step Four: Pressure cook the chili on high pressure for 15 minutes. After the 15 minutes has passed, allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure. Enjoy this hearty, yummy, chili with your favorite toppings!
Which Instant Pot Should You Use?
This is similar to the Instant Pot that I have. I've had it for two years and I love it! It is a 7-in-1 appliance and I use the pressure cooker, saute function and rice cooker the most. My favorite things to cook in my Instant Pot are chili and soup recipes like my White Chicken Chili, Sweet potatoes and Russet potatoes, Rice and pasta dishes because the pasta cooks in hardly no time! It really is a game changer for cooking delicious recipes quickly and easily!
Can I Make This Chili Recipe On The Stovetop?
Absolutely! When making my stovetop turkey chili recipe I use the same ingredients, but I use a different measurement for my liquid and I adjust the cook time. You can get the stovetop chili recipe here!
Recipe Tips for Success
- Measure and combine your chili spices before you start cooking. Add all of them to a small bowl and set it aside. When it’s time to dump the spices into your pot you won’t have time to measure each ingredient.
- It’s actually best to prep all of your ingredients ahead of time. This includes draining and rinsing your beans, chopping your vegetables, and measuring your liquid. As you will see in my video below all of my ingredients are measured and prepped ahead of time.
- Use chicken or beef broth as your liquid instead of water. Although water works just fine to help cook and simmer the chili, using a chicken, beef or even vegetable broth gives the chili a lot more flavor!
You really can’t go wrong with any toppings, but below are some of my favorites!
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Chopped green onions
- Ripe avocado chunks (I recently started adding this as a topping and I love it!)
- Frito Lays chips (I mean who doesn’t love a classic old school chili pie)
More Easy Instant Pot Recipes!
Here are a few more reader favorites to make in your Instant Pot!