These Brown Butter Mashed Sweet Potatoes, made easily in the Instant Pot or Stovetop, are creamy, comforting and the perfect side dish to any meal. The combination of brown butter, pure maple syrup and warm spices give these sweet potatoes incredible flavor and it’s all done in under 30 minutes!
Sweet potatoes also just happen to be one of my favorite foods. They are healthy and extremely versatile. I love eating them in just about every kind of way, especially in these irresistible Sweet Potato Pancakes!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- These sweet potatoes can easily be made in the Instant Pot or Stovetop.
- The combination of brown butter and pure maple syrup gives the sweet potatoes an amazing flavor.
- It's a simple side dish that can be made in under 30 minutes!
Ingredients for Brown Butter Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potatoes
- Brown Butter - Made from real butter. Very easy to make, full instructions are listed below.
- 100% Pure Maple Syrup
- Vanilla Extract
How To Make Brown Butter
The brown butter is the star of the show in this recipe - second to the sweet potatoes of course. It’s easy to make and just requires a little extra attention and patience.
In a small saucepan add your butter. Make sure to use real butter, the good stuff. Start melting your butter over medium-low heat. Once butter has melted, begin slowly stirring the butter with a spoon, spatula or whisk every few seconds. Allow the butter to simmer for approximately 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the color starts to change.
Continue stirring paying close attention making sure the butter doesn’t burn. You will know it’s ready when the butter starts to brown and give off a nutty, caramel smell. Immediately turn the heat off and remove the saucepan from the heat.
How To Make Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Full instructions for these Instant Pot brown butter mashed sweet potatoes are included in the recipe card below, but here’s a quick overview:
Step One: Wash, peel and chop your sweet potatoes into 1-inch chunks. Place them inside a large steamer basket and sit inside the instant pot. If you don’t have a steamer basket, place the sweet potatoes directly inside the inner pot of the instant pot.
Step Two: Add water and close the lid. Turn the pressure valve to sealing and pressure cook on high for 10 minutes.
Step Three: While the sweet potatoes are cooking, make your brown butter mixture. Brown the butter in a small saucepan according to the instructions listed above. Once butter is brown, stir in maple syrup, half & half, vanilla and spices. Mix until thoroughly combined.
Step Four: Once sweet potatoes have cooked for 10 minutes, carefully quick release the pressure. Carefully remove the lid, drain the water and return sweet potatoes back to the inner pot. Pour brown butter mixture over sweet potatoes. Mash with a potato masher or blend with a hand mixer for a smoother consistency. Enjoy!
You can easily make these Brown Butter Mashed Sweet Potatoes on the stovetop. Start by washing, peeling and chopping your sweet potatoes into 1-2 inch chunks. Add the sweet potatoes to a large pot and fill with water. Boil for 15-20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are fork tender. Drain the water then return the sweet potatoes to the same pot or to a large bowl. In a separate saucepan make the brown butter mixture according to the instructions below. Pour the brown butter mixture over the cooked sweet potatoes. Mash with a potato masher or blend with a hand mixer for a smoother consistency.
Recipe Tips For Success
- Don’t skip the brown butter. It really gives these sweet potatoes a delicious flavor. I like making my brown butter over the stove top so I can control the heat, as you want to make sure you don’t burn the butter. It also allows you to make the butter mixture at the same time while the sweet potatoes are cooking.
- Use a light colored or stainless steel saucepan when making the brown butter. This way you can easily see when the color starts to change.
- Don't take your eye off of the butter while it's browning. It can quickly go from brown to burnt in just a few seconds, so stay close by.
- Measure your maple syrup, half & half and the rest of your ingredients ahead of time. Once your butter turns brown you will want to move quickly with adding the remaining ingredients.
Half & Half - This recipe is made using Half & Half which is just half whole milk and half cream. You can use all milk or all heavy cream instead. Using all heavy cream will give you a much more decadent flavor. I like the combination of both which results in a creamy texture and flavor, but not too over the top.
100% pure Maple Syrup - The flavor of maple syrup goes really well with the brown butter. But if you don’t have maple syrup you can use brown sugar instead. Just make sure you melt the sugar into the brown butter the same way you would the maple syrup.
Toppings - Add your favorite toppings like chopped pecans for even more deliciousness.
I'll be shocked if you have any leftovers, but just in case you do, allow the sweet potatoes to cool completely. Then store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can also portion sweet potatoes and freeze in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Southwest Lentils and Brown Rice Bowl
- Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos