This Easy Turkey Chili Recipe is full of delicious flavor with warm spices, hearty beans, sautéed vegetables and lots of lean ground turkey meat! It's a classic one-pot meal that comes together quickly which makes it perfect for weeknight dinner!
Chili recipes are extremely versatile and can be made lots of different ways. For your typical recipe you only really need a few standard ingredients and a really good chili seasoning mix for great flavor!
Ground Turkey - I like using lean ground turkey meat, but you can certainly use ground beef or ground chicken instead.
Beans - Beans are definitely a star ingredient in chili. I used canned kidney beans and pinto beans, but you can use any combination of beans you like.
Veggies - A few chopped veggies sautéed and simmered will give your chili great flavor.
Tomatoes - You can use regular diced tomatoes or for more flavor try fire-roasted tomatoes! I also include a can of rotel tomatoes mixed with green chilis!
Warm spices - The homemade chili seasoning mix is what really makes this chili so good. A combination of chili powder, cumin oregano and smoked paprika gives it a delicious smoky flavor.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE TURKEY CHILI
Full instructions are included in the recipe card below, but here’s a quick overview:
- Cook the ground turkey meat. Crumble and cook your ground turkey or other meat in a large pot.
- Add in chopped veggies. Once meat is cooked, add your chopped veggies to the pot and saute for a few minutes.
- Stir in your spices. Add all those spices to the meat and vegetable mixture and stir.
- Now add in the tomato paste, beans and tomatoes. You can add the tomatoes with the juice directly in the pot. But for your canned beans, make sure they have been drained & rinsed.
- Next add your broth. Time to add your liquid. You can certainly use water, but broth gives the chili a lot more flavor!
- Stir & simmer. Once all of the ingredients are combined, allow the chili to simmer for about 30 minutes.
LET’S TALK TOPPINGS
You really can’t go wrong with chili toppings, but below are some of my favorites!
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Chopped red or yellow onions
- Ripe avocado chunks - I recently started adding this as a topping and I love it!
MORE COMFORT FOOD RECIPES
Check out more easy dinner recipes below:
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chicken Sausage Stir-fry
- Black Bean Quesadillas
- Chicken Sausage Sheet Pan Dinner
- Chicken Fajitas