This homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup is made with juicy chicken breast, lots of vegetables, smoky spices and tons of flavor! Topped with homemade tortilla strips!
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1-14.5 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1-10 oz. can Rotel
- 1-15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- In a large soup pot or dutch oven, add the olive oil, diced onion, diced red bell pepper, and diced jalapeño. Saute over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add minced garlic to the pot and sauté for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add all the spices including the cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, dried oregano, salt, and black pepper to the pot. Mix the spices with the diced veggies and allow the spices to toast in the bottom of the pot for 30 seconds.
- Now add the tomato paste to the pot along with a splash of water to help smooth out the paste.
- Add the frozen corn, fire roasted tomatoes, Rotel tomatoes, black beans, and chicken broth. Stir all the ingredients together and scrap up any spices that may be stuck at the bottom of the pot.
- Place the 2 chicken breasts inside the soup pot. Cover with a lid and bring the pot to a boil. Once boiling, immediately turn the heat down to medium-low and allow the soup to simmer for 45 minutes. (Make sure the soup is at a steady simmer).
- After 45 minutes, remove the cooked chicken breasts and place on a clean cutting board. Shred the chicken with two forks then return the shredded chicken back to the soup. Stir well. turn the heat completely off and add the lime juice and freshly chopped cilantro. Stir well.
- Stir in the lime juice and half of the chopped cilantro. Serve the chicken tortilla soup with some fresh tortilla strips, a little more cilantro and more of your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 55
- Category: Lunch, Dinner
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: chicken tortilla soup, how to make chicken tortilla soup