A delicious, creamy Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal bowl topped with cooked cinnamon apples.
1/2 cup steel cut oats
1 cup water
1 1/4 cup almond milk
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 tablespoon maple syrup or brown sugar (for oatmeal)
1-2 apples, washed and chopped (1 large apple or 2 small apples)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar or maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, or more to taste
- Wash and chop your apples into bite size pieces (it’s totally up to you if you want to peel the apples or not).
- In a small saucepan add the butter, chopped apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir well and cook the apples on medium low heat for 8-10 min or until the apples are tender and cooked to your liking. Remove from the heat, place the cooked apples in a separate bowl and set aside.
- To the same saucepan add the steel cut oats, water, almond milk and a pinch of salt. Stir well and scrape up any cooked brown sugar that may be stuck at the bottom of the pot.
- Bring oats to a boil then immediately turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer for 25 minutes (Make sure to keep an eye on the oatmeal and stir every few minutes to prevent any sticking).
- Once oatmeal is almost ready (around 20 minutes) add a little maple syrup or brown sugar to sweeten and a little cinnamon if preferred. Stir and continue cooking another 3-5 minutes.
- Add your cooked oatmeal to a large bowl and top with the cooked cinnamon apples and any other toppings like pecans to make this a super filling and delicious breakfast recipe! Enjoy!
If you are leaving the skin on, make sure to buy Organic apples and wash well. I prefer Gala, Fuji or Honeycrisp.
Make sure to keep an eye on the oatmeal white it’s cooking and stir every few minutes to prevent any sticking.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal, Steel Cut Oatmeal, Steel Cut Oats, Cinnamon apple oatmeal